SQA Examination Leave Arrangements 2017
As has been the case for the previous years in relation to the new National qualifications the school will be following the City of Edinburgh position on arrangements for the forthcoming SQA Examination Diet. This places a maximum of 20 days which can be entered into the system as designated study leave days. The advice is as follows:
Study Leave during the National exam timetable
- In 2017 the SQA national exam timetable commences with the first examination on Tuesday 2nd May and concludes with the final examination on Thursday 1st
- For pupils who are being presented for national examinations at National 1-4 level no formal study leave will be granted.
- For pupils who are being presented for one or two National 5 qualifications, exam leave may be granted at the discretion of the secondary head teacher, the pupil should be granted 2 days for each examination.
Those S4 students undertaking 3 or more National 5 courses and all current S5/6 students are subject to the following arrangements, which will differ from school to school, based on the number of exams being sat and the organisation of Prelims. This is due to a limit being imposed on the total number of days which can be coded as “approved study leave” in any one academic session. Once Monday holidays and Inset days are factored in this allows for the following organisation:
First day of home study leave Tuesday 2nd May
Last day of home study leave (20 day limit) Thursday 1st June
As in previous years, students have the option of liaising with teaching staff during study leave if required but should organise this around their subject timetable as the rest of the school will still be functioning as normal. Pupils should sign in and out at reception if accessing class teachers and leave the building once these meetings are finished. There will be limited availability of private study in the LRC; pupils will be asked to sign up to book a place in advance.
All S4, S5 and S6 pupils have been issued with the SQA booklet “My Exams” which covers the conduct expected during the exams. Pupils are also expected to wear school uniform when sitting exams and also if they are in school for private study in the LRC.
The new S5 will return on Friday 2nd June to pick up new timetables and a brief introductory assembly. The new S6 will return on Friday 2nd June for S6 Induction which will last all morning.
The new timetable for all S5/6 pupils begin on Monday 5 June.
Lindsay Fullarton, Depute Headteacher
Dear Parent / Carer (S5/6)
We have organised for a new online booking system for our parents’ evenings. Our next event is on Thursday 9 February for S5/6.
PLEASE NOTE: You need to type this address into your website browser’s ‘address bar’. Do not try to ‘Google’ this website address or use a search engine as that will not work. This is a common mistake on phones and tablets especially.
Login to see which appointments are available and select one that is convenient for you.
You will need:
- Your child’s legal first name and legal surname
- Your child’s date of birth
The system is live TODAY and will be open to take your bookings until Monday 6 February at 9.00pm. You can book for Parents’ Evenings as soon as you receive this letter. Once you have logged in, we suggest you use the ‘Automated Booking’ wizard to make your appointments. You will be asked to enter your availability and choose which teachers you want to see before being shown the most efficient order for visiting those teachers on the night.
Troubleshooting Tips – please read before booking!
- To login you need to enter the details we have on record for you and your child. If you have recently changed your title or surname, for example, and not informed us, we will be expecting you to login with the details we have on record
- The email address you enter is only used to receive a confirmation of your appointment. If the system gives you an error when you login, it will not be the email address that is the problem
- If you have several children to make bookings for, use the ‘Change Child’ button on the blue bar (above the school’s name) in the very top left corner of the Parent’s Booking Page to swap between your children. This does not apply to the Booking Wizard, where your children are tabbed above the teacher names
If you are unable to book at home, please phone the office and a member of staff will help you.
Consent packs for vaccinations from NHS Lothian are out now for pupils in S3 (and in S4 – S6 who have not yet received their vaccinations).
Every year, pupils in S3 are offered the Teenage booster to complete their life long protection, through routine immunisations, against tetanus, diphtheria and polio. Any pupils in S4 – S6 who have not yet received this vaccination will also be offered this.
In addition to the Teenage Booster vaccination, all S3 pupils are recommended to have a meningitis vaccine (ACWY). This protects against several strains including the W strain of meningitis which is on the increase across the UK. Any pupils in S4 – S6 who have not yet received this vaccination will also be offered this.
Please read the letter, discuss the vaccinations and return completed and signed consent forms to school by Friday 10th February 2017.