The next Parent Council meeting will be on Monday 13 March at 6.30pm in Kirknewton Primary School. This is a change in date to enable us to have an opportunity to see around our newly refurbished feeder primary.
The next meeting of the Parent Council will be in Ratho Primary School at 6.30pm on Monday 23 January 2017.
Any parent / carer of a pupil in Balerno High School is welcome to come along. Come and hear what is going on in the school! If you have a particular issue you would like to raise please email email@example.com to ensure your item is added to the agenda.
Draft minutes from the Parent Council AGM and meeting, held on 12/09/16, have been added to the Parent Council section of the website. The slide deck from Lindsay Fullarton’s ‘Parent Council Induction’ presentation and the slide deck accompanying the head teacher’s report have also been added. All of these documents can be found here.
A reminder that the Parent Council AGM and first meeting for session 2016/17 takes place on Monday 12th September at 6.30 pm in the LRC. All parents & carers are welcome.
An updated version of the AGM report can be found here. A small change has been made to the presentation of the figures in the ‘Accounts’ section – the numbers themselves haven’t changed.
The Parent Council’s annual report has been added to the ‘Minutes and Reports’ section of the website in preparation for the AGM on 12th September.
The report (main body and 2 appendices) produced from the results of the Head Teacher recruitment survey conducted in April/May 2016 has also been published on the site.
Both reports can be found here.
The first Parent Council of the academic year and the Parent Council Annual General Meeting will take place on Monday 12th September 2016 at 6.30 pm in the LRC. All parents/carers are welcome.
The first meeting and AGM is a good starting point if you want to actively support the school. The agenda is below. A Parent Council report will be made available prior to the meeting and a short induction will be part of the business on the night.
You can find more information about the Parent Council here.
Minutes of the last Parent Council meeting are available here.
We look forward to seeing you at the meeting
Tony Foster, Chair
PARENT COUNCIL AGM – Monday 12th September 2016
2. Minutes of last AGM
3. Chair introduction, parent council remit and report
5. Election of office bearers and new members
6. Close of AGM
Parent Council induction presentation
Meeting of Parent Council
1. Matters Arising from last PC meeting
2. Head Teachers Report / School Update including exam results & class composition
3. PSA Report
4. Senior Pupils Perspective
5. Community Council & Local Updates
6. AOCB & Date of next meeting
Minutes from the Parent Council meeting on 09/05/16 have been added to the ‘Minutes and Reports’ section of the website. You can view them by clicking here.
The Parent Council are happy to announce Neil McCallum is the successful candidate for Head Teacher at Balerno High School. He is currently Depute Head Teacher at James Gillespies, a well performing high school in Edinburgh.
Information has gone out on wisepay to parents/carers and staff/pupils have been informed.
We’d like to thank Parent Forum members for your help during this process, particularly if you took part in the headteacher survey. We’d also like to thank Balerno pupils who interviewed a very strong list of potential candidates.
We look forward to welcoming Mr McCallum to the school in the very near future.
HEADLINE RESULTS FOR THE HEAD TEACHER RECRUITMENT SURVEY
To help Parent Council members recruiting a Head Teacher we asked for your views on what their priorities would be.
126 people did the survey – our target was 90, which would have been a good representative sample for accurate findings.
54% heard about the survey on wisepay, 33% from social media/website, 13% other/word of mouth.
There were over 200 comments with 25 parents/carers interested in the Parent Council, 16 the fundraising PTA and 60 wanting more information on the report (which will be made available after we share it with the new Head Teacher).
QUALITIES IN A HEAD TEACHER
Your absolute musts were
1) Good Communication (89.68%)
2) Supports academic achievement (79.37%)
3) Fairness (78.57%)
4) Inspirational Leader (65.87%)
5) Positive Approach to Behaviour Management (63.49%)
6) Ability to know the pupils (61.90%)
7) Can plan and implement curricular policy (57.14%)
8) Authority (53.97%)
9) Supports extracurricular activity (42.86%)
10) Works well with the local authority (32.54%)
11) Engages with the community (30.95%)
12) Experience of being a HeadTeacher (19.05%)
YOUR PRIORITIES FOR A NEW HEAD TEACHER
1) Communication & engagement 35 comments
2) High Quality Education 27 comments
3) Staff retention, motivation and action 24 comments
4) Discipline, Drug & Alcohol abuse 21 comments
5) Extra Curricular activity, school trips, sport – 18 comments
6) Increase subject choice & work with partners 17 comments
7) Learning & emotional support – 9 comments
8) Pupil retention & engagement (particularly in S6 year) – 9 comments
9) Leadership & motivation – 9 comments
10) Refurbishment & update equipment – 8 comments
11) Support outwith academic route – 6 comments
12) Equality of feeder primaries – 4 comments
13) Maintaining uniform policy – 4 comments
14) Stop mobile use in class – 2 comments
15) Storage in school for pupils – 3 comments
16) Develop school ‘brand’ – 2 comment
A second open ended question was asked for further skills, qualities and comments. Responses covered fairness/engagement (26 comments), leadership (19 comments), academic success (8 comments), good communication (8 comments), well being on campus (5 comments), support needs (2 comments)
Thank you to everyone who took part in the survey. It helped us greatly during the recruitment process and for Parent Council priorities for the future.
Chair of Balerno Parent Council
Minutes from the Parent Council meeting on 07/03/16 have been added to the ‘Minutes and Reports’ section of the website. You can view them by clicking here.